How a slow cooker can help you save money, eat well, and survive university

When you’re a uni student, money doesn’t grow on trees and neither does endless motivation. Personally, just the thought of washing dishes after cooking is enough to repel me from the kitchen. Unfortunately, student life makes eating out for every meal as possible as climbing Mt Everest…so what can we do?

Well to start with, if you don’t already have one it’s time to buy yourself a slowcooker. I promise is well worth your money or how about suggesting it as a Christmas present idea?

Your slow cooker will become your new best friend while you live out of home and are at uni – and I’m told well into your adult life. It can make you chicken soup when you’re sick and missing home, cook up a delicious pulled pork while you study your life away at the library, or pull together a hearty stew that will give you the energy to get you through exam time.

Why eat packet noodles when you can fuel yourself with healthy and nutritious meals that require minimal effort?

Honestly, your slow cooker will save you time and money, and instead of labouring away in the kitchen, you’ll have more time to catch up on your readings or complete your assignments.

Have I convinced you yet? What if I told you that the two main cooking steps of any slow cooker recipe are:

1. Shove everything in the slow cooker.
  2. Press the on button.

What’s even better is, once you finish the cooking, you can remove the pot from the slow cooker and just shove the whole thing into the fridge! Too easy.

So what kind of things can you make? The combinations are endless but these are a two of my favourite recipes to get your started and keep your brain and body in tip-top study mode.

Pot Roast

Ingredients:

• 1 chuck roast
  • 1 onion – cut in half (Literally one chop. How easy is that!)
  • 1 tbs of thyme and rosemary – doesn’t really matter how much you put in it – I have never heard someone die of a herb overdose
  • 250ml of beef stock
  • Carrots – as desired. Lazy tip: Just break the carrot in half with your hands or chop to whatever length you like it
  • Potato – as desired. Lazy tip: give the cooked potato a rinse and chuck it in.

Method:

1. Press the on button and cook on high.
  2. Neglect for 3-4 hrs.

Chicken Creole

Ingredients:

• 1kg chicken breast
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 gloves of minced garlic – Lazy tip: just smash a few garlic with the flat part of the knife. Ain't nobody got time for chopping.
  • ¾  can diced tomato
  • ½  cup of tomato sauce
  • 1 tbs of brown sugar
  • 2 tbs of creole seasoning – Lazy tip: or whatever herb you like / have in the house
  • 350ml of chicken stock – Lazy tip: if you can’t be bother to measure it out – just tip the whole carton in and leave the lid slightly open to let the stock evaporate. If you have too little – just add water and salt.
  • 2 tbs butter

Method:

2. Neglect for 3-4 hrs.

About the author…

I’m Michelle, an international student from Hong Kong currently in my third year of a MBBS degree. I enjoy backpacking, reading manga, going to the gym, and I am currently learning to play the keyboard. I live by the motto “embrace failure”.

1 December 2016