Seven steps to prepare for mid-semester exams

As you know mid-semester exams are just around the corner. For anyone looking for study prep inspo, here are the seven steps which I incorporate into my study routine to ensure my mid-semester preparations go off without a hiccup.

1. Find out the date, location and specific time of your exams and pop it into your diary straight away. The general mid-semester exam timetable can be found online.
  2. Understand the structure of your exam and plan your study around this. Is it multiple question, short answer, essay format or a mixture of all three? This will help you determine how you will go about preparing your answers and studying for the exam.
  3. Understand the marking format and how much academic weight the exam is worth; this will help you schedule your time wisely, so you know which sections to direct your focus towards.
  4. Make a list of the topics or lecture weeks which the exam will cover. Some mid-sem exams cover only one topic, whereas others cover the first five weeks of semester. This will ensure you allow yourself enough allocated study time and ensure you review the important topics.
  5. Create a personal study package for each exam. I have found this step quite useful over my three years of uni studies. Your personal study package can include; summary notes, sample exam papers or questions, relevant homework questions and a separate notebook (where you’ll jot down any further key points, or answers to the practice questions).
  6. Draw up a quick study schedule, carefully allocate your time over exam block week and dedicate yourself to studying in these times. Remember to also schedule in breaks. As a general guideline, for every 45 minutes of studying, try to take a 10-minute break. Set an alarm if you know you will forget. You don’t want to burn yourself out on half a day of study.
  7. Now to the fun part, study time! Turn your phone off and get serious about your study, distraction-free. It helps me if I get everything I need on my desk (water bottle included) so I have no excuses to get up and procrastinate.
  8. Bonus tip! Attend a Student Services exam preparation workshop to give you an extra edge to ace your exams.

If you need some extra inspiration, then check out these nine best scientific study tips. I completely agree with tip number five: aim to understand the new knowledge and be able to teach it, rather than to memorise it purely for the exam.

Although we shouldn’t take it too literally, preparing for your exams is a critical part in determining your final grades and outcomes.

To wrap things up, make sure you prepare for your exams, use your time wisely and study effectively. Then you will be strutting into the exam feeling confident that you have done everything you can to set yourself up for a good grade.

Meet the author...

I’m Precious a third year pharmacy student. Although I am a science enthusiast with a love for all things health related, I am a creative at heart. My ultimate goal is to combine my love of health, nutrition, education and fashion into a long-lasting and rewarding career.

5 September 2016