My Open Day experience

UQ’s St Lucia Open Day certainly did not disappoint. It was, without doubt, the standout tertiary education open day from those that I visited around the Brisbane region. Throughout the event, I caught up with old friends and mentors at the Young Scholars’ Program reunion, ate two fairy floss balls which were bigger than my head, set a new personal best for the number of UQ pens I’ve collected in one day (15 pens should keep me going for a while!) and most importantly, I learnt about what life would be like as a university student studying at UQ.

The lecturers provided detailed insight into their specific fields and were more than happy to answer my many questions after their talks. One thing that all the lecturers had in common was they were very passionate about their respective fields, and some were even eager to share the findings from their most recent research projects. This practical application reinforced their knowledge and filled me with confidence that the most up-to-date global advances would be coming straight from UQ researchers to UQ students.

In case you couldn't make it along to one of the key sessions of the day, here are links to video recordings of some of the health sessions;

The facility tours that ran throughout the day provided a closer view of the modern teaching spaces that the university offers. It was reassuring to know that the technologies used are constantly being upgraded so that the students are always working with the best equipment and resources available.

I was blown away with the Biological Sciences Library and the sheer amount of study spaces and computers that were available – not to mention the sleeping pods! Who doesn’t love a good nap?

Aside from the academics, the representatives from the UQ Abroad and UQ Medical School were able to inform me of several different ways I could study overseas during my degree. I wasn’t aware that there were so many options to choose from! It’s now something I will definitely consider doing in my course and, as the UQ Abroad office pointed out, it’s these experiences that can set you apart from the crowd when you’re applying for jobs. There’s also plenty of scholarships to assist students in funding these travels, so don’t stress if you’re on a tight budget.

The Open Day was a really engaging and enjoyable experience for me, and I hope that if you too visited on the day that the information you gained will help you make more informed decision about which university you might attend next year.

With QCS less than four weeks away, QTAC applications already opened, scholarship deadlines encroaching and graduation day looming. I found that the Open Day gave me clarity of my study options and peace of mind about the busy and stressful time ahead.

If you have any remaining questions, you can ask a question online or visit UQ’s Future Student website for course specifics and much more. Also, don’t forget to look through the 2017 QTAC Guide for all of UQ’s approximate OP entry scores as well as any prerequisite subjects. Hope your Open Day experience was as good as mine!  

Meet the author...

I am a current high school student (year 12), weighing up my options for tertiary study in 2017. I am hoping to study a Bachelor of Physiotherapy and go on to complete a Doctor in Medicine, specialising in neurological rehabilitation. I have many interests and hobbies outside of school, including, being a part of the Queensland Youth Orchestra’s Wind Ensemble.

19 October 2016