My placement in Darwin (Pt 3)

Today marks my final day of my 10-week Occupational Therapy (OT) placement here in Darwin. I know it’s corny, but I can’t believe how fast time flies. This has been such an epic placement journey where I have really challenged my knowledge and pushed myself to learn new things. It has all been worth it, and it has definitely paid off in the amount of knowledge that I am taking away from the experience. 

I am so thankful for my incredible supervisor Eden for making the experience one that I will never forget. It makes all the difference when you have a supervisor who goes that extra step to ensure your clinical placement is manageable and enjoyable. I am also very thankful to Isabel, my fellow UQ uni student and friend, we started this journey not knowing what to expect and now we are finishing together on such a high.

In these final weeks leading up to holidays (which I will spend in Europe!), it has been challenging to remain focused. However, by setting myself up with positive incentives and, of course, by constantly learning new things on placement, it helps with the motivation. 

For anyone considering a rural placement, I would highly recommend applying. Also, look for potential scholarships that may financially help you whilst away. The Services for Australian Rural and Remote Allied Health (SARRAH) scholarship was extremely helpful in helping fund my rural placement.  I implore you to challenge yourself because I can assure you, you won't be disappointed!

If you are interested, and would like to read more about my placement in Darwin, see here for my first post and my half way update

19 October 2016