My placement in Darwin (Pt 2)

This week marks half way of my placement. Prior to leaving home, the thought of 10 weeks placement felt like an eternity! But I can tell you now that the five weeks have passed in the blink of an eye.  For those that aren’t aware, I am on my final OT placement in an early intervention paediatric service in Darwin. To read part one of my journey click here.  

It has taken me a few weeks to get used to life away from home, however  I think I have finally mastered the careful balance of washing, cleaning, cooking, placement, uni assignments, exercise and of course sleeping. It was a shock to the system initially, however I thoroughly believe if you can get a good life balance outside of placement, you consequently perform at your best during your placement work.

I am so glad I still have another five weeks as I am increasingly feeling more comfortable within the team and with the children and their families. It is interesting to see how the feedback you receive alters your performance (hopefully for the better), and how your reflections become more and more indepth. I really feel like I am starting to make a difference to the children's lives. I am so excited for my final five weeks as an OT student and for the Darwin adventures ahead.

Bring on the rest of prac and weekend road trips!

Florence Falls - Litchfield National Park

Lee Point Beach

19 October 2016